Monday, July 23, 2007

Incomprehensible

You know how I love football. It's a Texas thing, I guess.

But today my love for it is a little less. Not because I still don't think the game is great, but because of Michael Vick.

You may or may not be aware of him. He's a quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons. And a terrible human being.

A few weeks back a story broke about him being involved in dogfighting. Since then, he has been indicted by the federal government on several charges of promoting and sponsoring dogfighting. I don't know how much, if anything, you know about this. I'd like to think that you're still young enough to be innocent of knowing the horrible things that people can do. But I guess if you don't know about it, I'm going to be the one to tell you about it.

People train dogs to fight. The breed them based upon how mean and aggressive they can be. When they fight, it's usually to the death.

That's right. Some people train dogs to kill other dogs. This is so sick that it just makes me want to vomit. Today it made me cry like a baby. Some of the networks have shown short clips of dogfights. It's just completely horrible.

So I sat here earlier, reading about the Vick case, and I saw Moose and just lost it. I thought of someone hurting Moose and it made me really sad, but it also makes me angry. How can someone be so evil and cruel as to intentionally hurt an animal or to train animals to hurt and kill other animals?

To me, that person is worse than an animal. So I hope Michael Vick gets sent to jail forever.

It's going to hurt my love of football. Because it's hard for me to support something that gives these kinds of people a job. I hope football shuns this person and he's never allowed to play again. Of course, if he is in jail, that won't be an issue.

You've talked about some of the things you might do with your life when you get older. Justin's already involved with protecting and studying animals. If you do the same, it would be great. When you think about all the mistreatment humans inflict on the world... polluting it; stripping it of trees, oil, whatever; killing people in wars; allowing people to suffer from hunger or lack of accessibility to health care; or killing animals for "sport"... anything any of us can do to reverse that, to make the world a little better... that's our only hope.

Big hugs to you. Now I'm gonna go play with my doofy dog...

No comments: